For Dependent Children (F-2 or J-2)

All children in Nebraska between the ages of 6 and 16 must attend school. Public schools are free to all children and books and supplies are often provided. There are a variety of classes that students may enroll in at the middle and high schools. Lincoln Public School District (LPS) administers the public school system in Lincoln.

Generally speaking, there are 3 levels of public school education. They are referred to as:

Elementary School Kindergarten through Grade 5
Middle School Grade 6 through Grade 8
High School Grade 9 through Grade 12

The school district is required by law to provide free and appropriate education for all children. If you have a child who has a physical disability or other problem (other than lack of English proficiency) that makes it difficult for him or her to be in an ordinary classroom without assistance, contact the Special Education office in the Lincoln Public Schools District. This office will find the right program for your child and provide whatever help he or she needs. Every child has a right to quality education.

Both F-2 and J-2 children may attend school through high school, but only J-2 dependents are permitted to enroll in college or university classes.
F-2 dependents may not enroll in college or university classes.

For F-2 Spouses

F-2 spouses may only enroll in classes that are avocational and recreational in nature. This means that any classes that F-2 spouses take should be recreational in nature or done as a hobby. F-2 spouses may not be enrolled in a full-time or degree-seeking program. Please see an ISS specialist if you have questions.

For J-2 Spouses

J-2 spouses may enroll in classes at any level after being admitted to the pertinent institution. Enrollment may be on a part-time or full-time basis. Most other non-immigrant spouse statuses are also permitted to enroll in courses. Speak with an ISS specialist for more details.


If childcare is needed for dependent children, the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services offers valuable information.


Dependents may volunteer their time if they wish. Volunteering is a great opportunity to get involved, meet people in the community, to practice and improve English, and to contribute skills and knowledge you have. Please refer to the Serve Nebraska website for any area volunteer opportunities.

Nebraska Driver's License or State ID Card

To obtain a Nebraska Driver's License or Nebraska State ID Card, please visit the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website.

Social Security Numbers

Social Security Numbers are specifically for employment tax purposes in the United States. J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for employment authorization and may obtain Social Security Numbers after they have obtained employment authorization through US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Most other nonimmigrant classifications are not eligible for employment or a Social Security Number. Visit the social security website for international students and scholars for more information.