Most F-1 and J-1 students at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln are eligible to work on- and off-campus at certain times during their studies. Students are responsible for following the regulations that govern international student employment benefits, such as getting approval before starting any off-campus position. Please read our website for general information. For specific questions, please sign up for an advising appointment with an immigration specialist.

Employment is defined as any type of work performed or services provided in exchange for money, tuition, fees, books, supplies, room, food or any other benefit. If you receive no pay or other benefit for the work performed and the position is normally an unpaid position, it will most likely not be considered employment. However, we advise you to consult with the ISSO before beginning any work (or service) outside UNL.